Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Greetings from Hamilton, Ohio

Dear family and friends, it has been a long time since I have posted and so much has happened.  You would think that being retired and being free of housework and yard work,  I would have plenty of time to write.  However, we are just having too much fun!  We have been to see friends in North Carolina.  John was a classmate of Chris when we were at Virginia Theological Seminery.  His wife Debbie became my best friend.  The four of us and our children did everything together.  John asked Chris to supply for him on the Sunday after Christmas.  He loves doing it and I get a good sermon.  Best of all, I don't have to wonder where we will go yo church.  We have been to two very interesting churches in Virginia Beach.  It is very different up here. We did attend a very simple Midnight Mass.  Sure missed Holy Spirit.

We also spent time with a girlfriend that moved to Virginia from Gulf Shores.  She is the one that turned me into a blonde.  We had so much fun catching up and meeting her new husband.  I ate my first fish taco and learned to play Mexican Train Dominoes.  It has nothing to do with lining them up and knocking them down.  Chris was so disappointed.

Of course the best part was spending time with family.  My granddaughter and I made matching macrame key chains.  I could not find my glasses to read the directions so they are not perfect but we laughed a lot.  We went to see Night At The Museum.  I cried a lot because Robin Williams was in it. I rode all over town with my college age grandson and learned about his ambitions and goals.  I watched my daughter Amy bake every kind of Christmas treat and had to keep Chris out of the buckeyes until all gift bags were filled. (And he can't understand why his sugar levels are so high)

We had planned to meet our Ohio friends over New Years but had not set a destination.  After examining several options we decided to just meet them in Ohio.  Chris has no fear of anything!  The first day of driving was not bad. By nightfall we had made it to the West Virginia border and stayed at the no frills Wal-mart.  Nothing but the best for me.  The next day of travel was harrowing. I had to
drive through the mountains in the rain.  I don't think I ever went over 50 miles an hour.  I was the slowest vehicle on the road. The curves were matched with 5% downhill grades.  I just stayed in my lane and prayed for my shift to end.  Of course when it was Chris' turn to drive, the sun came out.

It is very cold here but we are warm In our camper.  I am amazed at how well we are doing.  Tonight will be the real test with freezing temps.  The  current temp is 21 degrees and the low tonight is 18.  If the pipes hold up tonight we will be ok.

Peace to all.  Happy New Year







No comments:

Post a Comment