Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Greetings from Charleston, South Carolina

We arrived n Charleston late today after two wonderful days in Savannah.  I wish we could have stayed there a week but even though we are retired and free spirited, we still have deadlines that can't be moved....like Christmas.
On Monday we took the 'hop on,hop off ' trolley and had a great overview of the historic district. I learned that Spanish moss has nothing to do with Spain or moss.  It is an air plant that does not attach to the tree.  It is in the pineapple family.  We saw an old house that Joe Namath purchased for $90,000.  He wanted to turn it into a gentleman's club. The city would not allow this so he sold it for about $250,000.  Today it is worth several million.  We passed by the birthplace of Juliette Low.  Did you know she was 52 when she started the Girl Scouts?  Amazing what people can do regardless of their age.  Do you know why they sell Girl Scout cookies?  The girls made cookies to send to soldiers in WWI.  However by the time the cookies arrived there were nothing but crumbs.  So the girls started making candy for the soldiers.  The sugar and butter for the candy were quite expensive so they sold cookies to get the money for the candy.  That's their story.
For lunch we ate at Mrs. Wilkes.  The tables are set for twelve guests and food is served family style. There were so many dishes: sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, greens, slaw, cabbage, stewed tomatoes, rice, turnips, stuffing, lima beans, macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, baked beans, bar-b-que, corn bread, rolls, and of course sweet tea.  We spent the first 15 minutes passing food.  There were people from Colorado, Savannah, and Iran.  Interesting group.
The best site was the Cathedral of John The Baptist.  It was beautiful.  The stations of the cross were carved and exquisite.  I took a picture of all 14 to keep for my prayer time.

I still can't believe we have been on the road since August and we are still married.  Our 27 feet have not closed in on us.  We have found more time for prayer together than we ever had before.  I have found that I can have my quiet time when Chris walks the dogs each morning.  I have been reading Henri Nouwen's Spirituality of Living.  He suggests that you repeat 'the Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want' at least three times.  This is a good Mantra for this Christmas season.  I have been using it for my breath prayer.  The truth is, I do not want for anything...the Lord has provided for all my needs.  Of course, when the 42foot deluxe coach pulls in next to ours...I have to say the prayer over and over so I won't covet their storage.

Tonight we are in a county park that houses the Festival of Lights much like Calloway  Gardens.  We will take the tram tomorrow night.  It is very cold here and I am hiding under my electric blanket.

Peace to all,  Barbara

1 comment:

  1. We just stayed at James Island CP in mid November, used to spend Thanksgiving there. So glad you're having a wonderful tour in Charleston. Re the RV size, as much as I would love more storage (we're 30') I (and you) can go a lot of places the big boys can only dream about- would rather have quality than quantity! Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete